August/September 2014 newsletter
In this newsletter, we share with you information about visitors to France and what the
French do on their summer holidays; tell you about new properties for sale in France;
have details about a new French play; and, provide a simple and sweet French recipe.
A la prochaine
Sharon et David
PS: Be tantalised by France and things French every day by liking/following us on facebook.
France continues to be the world top tourist spot
The latest international tourism figures released show that France welcomed almost 85 million foreign visitors in 2013, meaning it has confirmed its title as the world’s most-visited destination. Second and third place getters, the US and Spain, were not even close at 70 and 60 million respectively and Australia was a long way down the list at 7 million overseas tourists (an ever increasing number of French in the figures).
Interestingly, France had 25% more Chinese tourists last year than the prior year and those numbers have doubled in four years; visitors from India also on the rise with 4.5 million in total travelling from Asia.
Paris is still the most visited place in France (and Euro Disney the top tourist spot with over 16 million visits), followed by Provence, then the Alps for skiing.
Data also showed that visitors stay on average one week in France and apartment/home stays were becoming more popular than hotel accommodation.
Don't forget, we have places to stay for a week when you are in France, including our Provence apartment.
New places for sale in Brittany + beautiful villages
Beautifully renovated house in Brittany consisting of a main residence plus 1 and 2 bedroom holiday gites being run as successful holiday lets at 350,000 euro.
Also in Brittany, being offered by an English speaking agent based in the region, are these 4 properties all under $100,000 AUD and with extra special features:
- pretty little three level town house in Faou with an outdoor area and conservatory at 40,000 euro
- 2 bedroom house in hamlet near thriving Brittany village with fireplace and cellar 49,275 euro
- centre ville 2 bedroom stone house with attic and courtyard access to cellar 50,000 euro
- cute 2 bedroom stone cottage with land in busy Breton town of Rostrenen 49,500 euro.
Two special places for sale in the Midi-Pyrenees:
- Four level 14th C house in St Cirq Lapopie, officially one of the most beautiful villages in France, has a gallery/boutique attached as well as a workshop plus there is the opportunity to run an existing expat property management business 360,000 euro
- Large, characterful house in Montaigu, one of the loveliest and most sought after villages in the Quercy region. Restored in charming “fin de siècle” style featuring 4 bedrooms, cellar, barn, workshops, garage, original beams, wide old oak floorboards, courtyard, balconies and a terrace 249,950 euro
Ways we can help you buy your French place: our recent webinars and workshop were well received, thanks to everyone who participated. For those who couldn't make them, we will run more later in the year - in the meantime you might be interested in our guides or booking into our July 2015 property tour.
Next theatre production in Melbourne is Moliere's
This next Melbourne French Theatre company production is by Moliere, France's famous 17th century creator of comedic plays. It is George Dandin, ou le mari confundu - the frustrated husband, playing from 2 to 13 Sept in French with English surtitles:
French recipe for palmiers (sugary pastry srolls)
You see these in most boulangeries and they are divine. Hard to believe the recipe is so simple, just puff pastry (the boulanger's left overs?) and sugar:
Facts about summer/ete holidays in France
Summer holidays are very important to the French, the seaside being the most popular destination. Parisians still in town during August make use of water spots when it is hot. Regionally there are many fetes/festivals held during the summer months.
Rent Our Properties
Property Purchasing Information