Facts about politics in France
- France has changed its form of government nine times since the Revolution which ended King Louis rule in 1789. These have included five republics, two empires and 2 constitutional monarchies.
- France is now a representative democracy with a President as head of state and a Prime Minister as head of government.
- Dominique de Villepin is Prime Minister and Nicolas Sarkozy is President, replacing Jacques Chirac who did not seek a third term.
- France has only had three presidents in the last three decades: Valery Giscard d'Estaing, Francois Mitterrant and Jacques Chirac.
- French election days are always a Sunday and can take two rounds.
If a single winner with a majority is not elected on the first round, then the candidates with the highest percentage of votes compete in the second round of voting.
Rent Our Properties
Property Purchasing Information