Facts on French cinema
- Each year, over 200 million people see French films.
- One of the most popular French films ever was Amelie until the Intouchables in 2012.
- The French produce between 200-300 films per year.
- France's national film awards are the Cesar's held in February in Paris.
- The Cannes film festival is one of the most prestigious and publicised film festivals in the world.
- The French government have laws to assist films e.g. TV stations must invest in local films.
- Many English speaking films are also set in France - see our top 10.
- Paris has the highest density of cinemas in the world (movie theaters per inhabitant).
- Gerard Depardieu was one of the first French actors to make it big in American movies.
- English speaking actors (eg. Kristen Scott-Thomas, John Malkovic) have starred in French movies.
- In Australia:
- audiences for French films are growing strongly (in 2005 0.5M to >2.5M in 2008).
- in 2011, French films grossed at box office $9M, 4th after US, UK and Australian films.
- in 2012, the same number (27) of French films (highest number ever recorded) were released as Australian films (French films in 2011 were half the number of Australian).
Rent Our Properties
Property Purchasing Information